For custom-made and highly engineered torque arms and tool holders, trust Givens Engineering to design and manufacture the torque handling solution to suit your unique needs. Whatever the height, tool weight or torque required for your industrial production facility, there are virtually no limitations in terms of the customization we can incorporate into our specially designed torque arms.
Specially Manufactured Torque Arms
Torque Arms have 2 roles:
- They are made to absorb the torque that is generated during the process of tightening
- Torque arms provide the necessary lift so that the nutrunner floats at all times on the end of the torque arm, following naturally horizontally and vertically.
At Givens Engineering, all our torque arms are specially manufactured to float on air and are exceptionally easy to maneuver. In general, the arm itself is mass-produced and stocked. The toolholder, however, is custom-made for the specific fastening application at hand. The toolholder can be very simple or can be more complex and include brakes or other unique functionalities.
Nutrunner Servomotor and Gear Reducer for Torque Arms
In the photos right and below, the nutrunner, created by Givens Engineering, consists of a servomotor and gear reducer that are controlled by PLC and monitored through an HMI. The torque arm rises to a height of 4m on a pneumatic slide and applies a torque of 160Nm (120 ft-lb). The number of rotations and the torque are continuously monitored and logged.
The trombone toolholder for toque arms converges on both nut and bolt to fasten simultaneously.
1000Nm (750 ft-lb) of torque! Applied to large fasteners in a military vehicle. When you need really serious torque, we can provide a serious arm.
Benefits of Torque Arms
- Torque arms are made to assist the operator in supporting the weight of the end effector/tooling
- The use of torque arms allows a workload to ‘float’, therefore there are no up/down pushbuttons required
- Torque arms are lightweight and agile. The axis assemblies are made of anodized aluminium
- Softstops at the first and second axis are adjustable
- Torque arms are clamped to the post, the height can be adjusted
Accessories for Torque Arms
- Torque Brakes are available for the first and second axis, to eliminate drift
- Bearing block assemblies are available at the end of the second arm allowing the end effector to rotate
- The parallel arms can be fitted with vertical travel stops
- The STD-TA series can be fitted with encoders to track the position of the tool so that individual torque values can be programmed for every fastener
- Torque Tubes can be used instead of torque arms – when it is necessary to hang a nutrunner from a crane
There are many torque arm models to choose from based on required torque, arm size, payload and typical reach needed for your manufacturing or production facility. The chart below demonstrates the differences between the main torque arm models and their unique lifting capacities.
Givens Engineering Torque Arm Models
|Torque||75ft-lb 100N-m||150ft-lb 200N-m||370ft-lb 500N-m||750ft-lb 1000N-m||1500ft-lb 2000N-m|
|Approximate Pay Load*||10lb|
|30lb 15kg||50lb 25kg||100lb 45kg||150lb 70kg|
|5ft 1.5m||7ft 2.0m||8ft 2.5m||10ft 3.0m|
* Pay Load = weight of nut runner + weight of tool holder
Total capacity is always a combination of torque and payload; always consult a Professional Engineer before designing a torque arm.
For more information regarding torque arms manufactured by Givens Engineering, download our informative brochure below and contact our team of professionals to discuss your unique needs.
Have any questions about our torque arms?